Negative Extensions

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MRx

Negative Extensions

Post by MRx »

Hi,

I have the situation where I need negative clearance on an object, I'm clearing the edge part with a bigger endmill but the main channel with a smaller one.

Now certainly I could insert a splitter but once I refine the object the splitter will be gone again.

Or does anyone have a better idea about partial adaptive clearance of that path?
w5pu7v.png
w5pu7v.png (23.3 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
CoderMusashi

Re: Negative Extensions

Post by CoderMusashi »

I would suggest creating a separate surface for where you want to machine. I am not sure what you mean by a splitter or negative clearance but I did a video about extending cutting paths using separate surfaces created for extending adaptive toolpaths. Then someone pointed out the new extension feature which does pretty much the same thing. This technique would work the same if you did not want a tool to go fully to the edge somewhere. You simple make wires (containment regions) and use those wires to create a surface. Then you select that surface for your pocket or adaptive path. Using the Part workbench under the Part menu there is Shape Builder. You can use it to create your specific machining region surface.
MRx

Re: Negative Extensions

Post by MRx »

I could add a sketch and a splitter to the face followed by Part -> Split -> Slice to Compount however it's just an idea for "extensions" that selective negative extensions might also be interesting (which might eliminate the need of the isInside checks.