Can't select a body that's in an "assembly 4 part" for path operations

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lupin

Can't select a body that's in an "assembly 4 part" for path operations

Post by Lupin »

When I put "Part Design WB" bodies (or "Part WB" primitives) into an "Assembly 4" "Part", I am no longer able to choose that body as part of the "Model" for a "Path" Job.

For example with this simple structure:
Zwischenablage-1.png
Zwischenablage-1.png (36.74 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
This is what I get when trying to create a new job:
Zwischenablage-2.png
Zwischenablage-2.png (9.2 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
The body is not available for selection.

Similarly, and somewhat related I guess, I can't select and add the sketch within the body to a job either (for engraving for example). This is independent of the body being within a "Part". If I make "Draft" clones of the body or sketch to document root, I can add them to a job. What's even weirder and makes me think the behaviour is a bug: after I added the clones to the Job, I can select them in the tree and change their "Objects" property to the original body or sketch, which are still within the "Part" (or within the body for the sketch resp.) and everything (profiling, pocketing, engraving,...) works fine. The clones aren't even needed anymore. The only problem: doing any edit to the "Job" object itself (via the dialog, not the properties) will most likely break something.
That the bodies and sketches can be used after that workaround, but can't be selected via the job dialog, seems like a bug to me.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.Unknown
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.9.7
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: German/Austria (de_AT)
Attachments
path_unable_to_select_sketch_or_body_worked_around.FCStd
(27.8 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
path_unable_to_select_sketch_or_body.FCStd
(12.97 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by Lupin on Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRx

Re: Can't select a body that's in an "assembly 4 part" for path operations

Post by MRx »

Just to add it here, Inventor imports don't work with the Path Module either. IGES however works (but caused other delicate issues on my side).
There's still a bit work to do at the Path entry scripts.