3Dsurface hides cut pattern angle

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

3Dsurface hides cut pattern angle

Post by freman »

Hi,

I created a new 3dSurface path and wanted to adjust the cut angle. I couldn't find it with the default config ( which includes line Cut Pattern ).

I discovered that flipping to zig-zag exposes cut pattern angle. I can then set it back to line Cut Pattern and see it is still available in the treeview.

It was driving me crazy because I knew it was there somewhere. Last time it just turned I assumed I was half asleep and had over looked it. Now I managed to catch it red handed.

Looks like a bug.

Also I don't seem to be able to find where to turn off automatic updates which is quite important with the very long computation times of some of these 3D paths. There used to be an icon for that, if someone could help out.

OS: Fedora 34 (Thirty Four) (LXQt//usr/share/xsessions/lxqt)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.26155 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 0926a4148bcff11249fd4f56bc30256102ffe105
Python version: 3.9.7
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
3Dsurface-treeview-ZZ.png
3Dsurface-treeview-ZZ.png (33.67 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
3Dsurface-treeview.png
3Dsurface-treeview.png (36.4 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: 3Dsurface hides cut pattern angle

Post by chrisb »

freman wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:02 am Also I don't seem to be able to find where to turn off automatic updates which is quite important with the very long computation times of some of these 3D paths.
I can't remember to have an icon. It is in the context menu of the tree's root.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

3D surface: "Show all" in the properties' context menu reveals the angle as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

chrisb wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:20 pm 3D surface: "Show all" in the properties' context menu reveals the angle as well.
Ah thanks. Show Hidden Items and Skip recomputes , it seems. I may have been confabulating about the icon ;)

Presumably this minor bug should be fixed. It does not make sense to have it hidden on line but not for ZZ, nor to have it pop into view once you've done ZZ then gone back to line.

1. It should be consistent.
2. This treeview of options is rather busy but this seems to a fairly important parameter and probably needs to be visible by default.

Thanks for the help. That will save a lot of wasted time waiting for these rather long calculations.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freman wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:27 pm Presumably this minor bug should be fixed.
Can you create a feature request? It could also be disussed if the property "ZigZag Angle" should be renamed, e.g. to "Angle", "PatternAngle", ...