[SOLVED] How to select the first edge of a Profile operation?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Giulio Buccini

[SOLVED] How to select the first edge of a Profile operation?

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Hi folks,

I'm profiling the outline of a bracket and all works quite well.

Here the little problem:
maybe I'm a precision maniac, but I noticed that is always recognizable where the toolbit plunge to start the path defining the outline of the shape. Just a little difference at the eyes, eh? One can survive with it. But I would like to hide it.

So I thought to my self "easy peasy: just select another edge as the first one of the profile operation."
Well... not so easy in real life... :(

Seems to me that Freecad does not care about what edge for the profile I select first, it always start from the same one. Incidentally that is in the most "visible" part of the bracket.

There is anyway to start the path from the edge I want?
(Dressups and entry-point does not address my little problem.)
Selection_7630.jpg
Selection_7630.jpg (92.8 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
Last edited by Giulio Buccini on Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to select the first edge of a Profile operation?

Post by chrisb »

Change the Startpoint and set UseStartpoint=True.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Startpoint does not affect the choice of the first edge to start with. It only provide a better way to get close to it.

UPDATE:
oooops... seems that by specifying the startpoint something is changed! Wait a moment...
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

IT WORKS!

Freecad recalculates the starting edge from the point on the path more close to the starting point. Nice!
Selection_7631.jpg
Selection_7631.jpg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
Ending note:
the original straight path is splitted in two straitgh ones in order to "accomodate" the new beginning point of the path. Apart from some additional acceleration/deceleration of the tool, the solution works well.
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

ADDITIONAL NOTE

If you want avoid your path split in two "sub-paths" after specifying a start-point, then simply enter the precise XY coords of the edge-end you want to start with.
In my case, I would like to start milling from the end of the little arc you see in the above images, not from the middle of the straight one.

After investigating the gcode (just move the mouse over the arc) I found that the arc ends at the point

X = 198.136551
Y = 74.748003

So I entered those value as my starting point and... voilà! The original path is no more splitted in two "segments", and the mill operation starts exactly from the point I was looking for.
Selection_7633.jpg
Selection_7633.jpg (40.43 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
P.S.
Thanks Chris! :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Giulio Buccini wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:55 am Thanks Chris! :)
You're welcome!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.