RampEntryDressup returning to offset zero

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Samu

RampEntryDressup returning to offset zero

Post by Samu »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19. Daily
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: e8566f22bbeb0b7204e3c45519d0963e8881100b
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

The RampEntryDressup always returns to the current offset's X0.0 and Y0.0 coordinates and the clearance height in a straight rapid move before starting the actual milling operation:
(Finish operation: TC: 10mm Slot Cutter)
(Begin operation: RampEntryDressup)
(Coolant On:Flood)
M8
(Path: RampEntryDressup)
G0 X0.000 Y0.000 Z70.000
G0 X300.100 Y37.100 Z70.000

Is there a possibility to turn this off (or comment out the 'responsible' code in the PathDressupRampEntry.py)?
If this line serves a particular purpose and can not be avoided, I would suggest to retract the Z axis first, before returning to the offset zero coordinates (much like a G28 G91 X0 Y0 Z70.0 in Fanuc).
Attachments
Anschlag_vertikal.FCStd
(43.76 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: RampEntryDressup returning to offset zero

Post by chrisb »

I'm not familiar with other machines, but my very old machine does it all by itself, so I thought it might be a de facto standard: If a rapid move goes up, then it moves Z first, and then X and Y. If a rapid move goes down, then it moves XY first and then Z.
This seems a reasonable strategy to avoid collisions.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Samu

Post by Samu »

chrisb wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:27 pm I'm not familiar with other machines, but my very old machine does it all by itself, so I thought it might be a de facto standard: If a rapid move goes up, then it moves Z first, and then X and Y. If arapid move goes down, then it moves XY first and then Z.
You're right, it would seem reasonable to have this strategy as a standard. But sadly my mill control and machine do obey this order exactly as written :(
I think it would make sense to not output this line at the beginning of the RampEntryDressup alltogether. Apart from wasting time and potentially causing a crash, I can not see the purpose behind it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Agreed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

There were several operations for which this behavior was corrected a few months ago. Sounds like there may be more operations that need correcting.

Gene
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

chrisb wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:27 pm If a rapid move goes up, then it moves Z first, and then X and Y. If a rapid move goes down, then it moves XY first and then Z.
Yes. I tried to suggest this some time ago but it wasn't well received. It could have been poorly worded on my part as I'm not a great communicator.
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.
Gimbal

Post by Gimbal »

Sorry for waking up an old thread, but I too have this problem with the RampEntryDressup always starting with G0 X0.000 Y0.000 Z something.
I have a lot of small pockets with rampentrydressup which means a lot of feeding back and forth to x0,y0 for no obvious reason. I can of course edit it out manually, which I will do, but it would be nice if one didn't had to.