How should I make a derivative from my theme?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MisterMaker

How should I make a derivative from my theme?

Post by MisterMaker »

I am making a light theme from my Dark theme.
I made a branch for that on my Github.
But I am having a hard time understanding how it should work, it keeps asking me to merge light with the main branch, and I really don't want to do that so is this the correct way to do this?
Anyone any tips on what the best way to do this?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: How should I make a derivative from my theme?

Post by adrianinsaval »

MisterMaker wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:22 am it keeps asking me to merge light with the main branch
where? if you mean on github when you open your repo, that's just a quick access button for a frequently used command, you don't need to merge anything if you don't want to. I'm not sure what are the implications for the addon manager of having two branches for similar themes.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Github is pretty intimidating....
This is what I made:
https://github.com/MisterMakerNL/Extrem ... meProLight
Now I am a bit confused on how this work with Github desktop.
Does that mean I have to switch branch and sync before I can work on another branch? which would mean I cannot edit both files at the same time?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I've heard fo some way of having different branches in parallel in different directories from the same repo using git worktree but I doubt github desktop has that functionality through the GUI, might be possible if you are comfortable doing some command line work. Otherwise your best choice might be to just have two clones of the repo if you want to work on both at the same time.