Let's talk about the test/build environment

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Let's talk about the test/build environment

Post by openBrain »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:58 pm Builds on all platforms, please. Finding out that a PR doesn't build in Windows after merge is frustrating to all concerned.
I had it working in the past. Just caching were to be optimized.
I stopped this effort because nobody cares to help or even to show interest in improving CI in general.
Will try to give it another effort.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

wmayer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:10 pm When I download the file https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... ming.fcstd I can open it with the latest master version without getting the error "Error reading compression file". But because of the changed file structures I get these expected errors:
Correct, the file is changed to use the new namespace layout for Path. The break in backwards compatibility is why we want it to merge soon the dependent files/workbenches have time to updated.
wmayer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:10 pm In the stack trace there appears this error: "invalid document structure" Any idea where this message comes from? Is it part of your PR?
It's not part of the PR. Looking at the backtrace it probably comes from shiboken.
wmayer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:10 pm Does a local run work for you? If yes, do you use FreeCAD or FreeCADCmd?
Yes it does, sliptonic ran it on his systems and had no issues - hence this thread.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

openBrain wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:47 pm
wandererfan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:58 pm Builds on all platforms, please. Finding out that a PR doesn't build in Windows after merge is frustrating to all concerned.
I had it working in the past. Just caching were to be optimized.
I stopped this effort because nobody cares to help or even to show interest in improving CI in general.
Will try to give it another effort.
Drop me a line — I don’t know much about CI but I’d like to learn.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

mlampert wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:57 pm
wmayer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:10 pm Does a local run work for you? If yes, do you use FreeCAD or FreeCADCmd?
Yes it does, sliptonic ran it on his systems and had no issues - hence this thread.
Could you please run again the CI? I recently updated the workflow so you can run it manually on your own fork.
To do so, you need to have an up-to-date master on your fork. Then go to 'Actions', select the CI Checks workflow, then manual run on the appropriate branch. ;)
Another option is to force push your branch (maybe it need a dummy change). Workflow will end faster because it will benefit from the cache that you don't have (yet) on your fork. ;)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

mlampert wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:57 pm Yes it does, sliptonic ran it on his systems and had no issues - hence this thread.
But did he start FreeCAD or FreeCADCmd to run the tests? The former runs with the GUI and the latter without and sometimes this makes the difference. The CI tests use FreeCADCmd.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I also tested, but only from the GUI.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

wmayer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:19 pm
mlampert wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:57 pm Yes it does, sliptonic ran it on his systems and had no issues - hence this thread.
But did he start FreeCAD or FreeCADCmd to run the tests? The former runs with the GUI and the latter without and sometimes this makes the difference. The CI tests use FreeCADCmd.
Sorry - I ran none of the Path tests exercises the GUI so I only run FreeCADCmd
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

openBrain wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:14 pm Could you please run again the CI? I recently updated the workflow so you can run it manually on your own fork.
To do so, you need to have an up-to-date master on your fork. Then go to 'Actions', select the CI Checks workflow, then manual run on the appropriate branch. ;)
Another option is to force push your branch (maybe it need a dummy change). Workflow will end faster because it will benefit from the cache that you don't have (yet) on your fork. ;)
I force pushed, had to rebase anyway.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

mlampert wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:09 am I force pushed, had to rebase anyway.
OK. At least it fails consistently.
Probably the best to investigate is to run the workflow on a local docker image to see what's going on there.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

mlampert wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:57 pm It's not part of the PR. Looking at the backtrace it probably comes from shiboken.
When googling this phrase then there are many hits in context with XML parsing. So, I can imagine that the xerces library throws an exception.