Ticket #6704 - Changing locale should prompt restart of FreeCAD

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Ticket #6704 - Changing locale should prompt restart of FreeCAD

Post by Kunda1 »

Discussion thread for issue #6704
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Ticket #6704 - Changing locale should prompt restart of FreeCAD

Post by openBrain »

AFAIK no restart should be needed. It is up to items owner (typically WB, or command) to deal with it.
Is there a case to reproduce on the stock FreeCAD ?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

x-posting my comment in the github issue:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/6704#issuecomment-1258239840 wrote:
Kunda1 wrote:The more I think of this, the more it merits a dialog asking if the user wants to restart now or later. CC @donovaly
I disagree and would ask that if this is done it be given a "don't ask again" checkbox, I understand that new users might need to be told this (since it's just a recommendation do they really need to be told?) but as an experienced user I would find these dialogs annoying. And before you ask, yes, as a helper and ocasional translator I do change language often enough to make this a real annoyance.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I've acquiesced to @adrianinsaval and recommend a Don't ask again subfeature. Powerusers shouldn't be subjected to the prompt if they choose to be informed of the preexisting issue
openBrain wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:28 pm Is there a case to reproduce on the stock FreeCAD ?
I don't know how to reproduce for certain in stock. One thing I remember seeing is that dropdown file menus do not get translated until restart. In non-stock FreeCAD the example in the ticket https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_Faste ... issues/180
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

OK, so IMO the action plan is:
* Check that FC codebase offers to WB add-ons a mechanism to signal a language preference change (or eventually it's already managed by FC regarding menus/toolbars -- commands --).
* If not, do we have to add it?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:21 pm In non-stock FreeCAD the example in the ticket https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_Faste ... issues/180
OK, as I suspected, ATM there are translation context issues. It may well be the same in FC base. Let's make a step forward and see if there is still issues, but I see no obvious reason why translation mechanism will work on embedded workbenches and not on add-on ones. ;)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

kunda1 wrote:The fact is that if you change your locale and don't restart, there are certain aspects of FreeCAD that still won't respect the locale change. This is why I'm proposing the top to options
You talk about locales but according to your screen shot you specifically mean language related things. So, I guess there are cases where some string literals are not translated to the newly chose language. Any concrete examples?
IMO, we shouldn't show a dialog to tell the user to restart FreeCAD but fix the actual problem.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

The problem with the example ticket cited up-topic appears to be a bug in that external Addon's translation context strings: it's not even clear that restarting fixes that one (I don't see a follow-up post, only someone asserting that restarting is required, without any particular reason given).
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com