Real-world meetup (Fosdem 2023)

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Real-world meetup (Fosdem 2023)

Post by yorik »

normally we should be part of the "open CAD/CAM/hardware dev room". No project has a single devroom on their own i think. But if needed i think it's possible to obtain some space on the side.

a booth is really only a table, with a lot of people passing by and nowhere to sit. it's not a good place to do anything else than quick demo/showcase and selling swag.

we can also get space at the brussels hackerspace to do our own "FreeCAD day", which could also be one day before or after...
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Are you guys thinking of a pure dev meeting or more a user meeting or mixed?
I'm 1,5 hour drive from Brussel. Although Belgium roads are pretty though. :twisted:
Anyone from NL Eindhoven/Tilburg/Breda going?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

yorik wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:31 pm we can also get space at the brussels hackerspace to do our own "FreeCAD day", which could also be one day before or after...
I vote for the day before, I already have a return flight booked for Monday morning. I can change it of course, but it's a bit of hassle.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok let's "pre-approve" this? friday is FreeCAD day (both for developers and users), then saturday/sunday normal FOSDEM events, with hopefully a few FreeCAD talks, and possibly a couple of more informal talks on the way...
JulianTodd

Post by JulianTodd »

I think that overlaps the most people (the friday before). Just announce it, pick a place, make sure there are enough whiteboards, post-it notes, and projectors, and we can run it as an Unconference so that people who have got something to say for 20 minutes get the space to say it to the rest of us.

Interestingly, the last Unconference I went to was 2019 at this one: https://oggcamp.org/schedule/

Note the absence of schedule in most of it.

This schedule was constructed on the day: https://joind.in/event/oggcamp-19/schedule/list

If you scroll down on it, you'll find I gave one on FreeCAD. Click on it and see a harsh review about my performance.

What happened was we were looking at the schedule board (wall of post-it notes) for something interesting at about 2 o'clock, and someone said they were looking for something about FreeCAD. I said I knew a bit about it, and immediately they put my name and title on a piece of paper and stuck it up on the board. So I had a very short time to remember how to operate it, and show it to a room of 30 people. There was a lot of demand for it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I am sad to say, that I will not be able to come before sunday.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:01 pm I am sad to say, that I will not be able to come before sunday.
There should still be plenty of FreeCAD goodness to do :)

I wrote a proposal here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FPA/issues/22 feel free to add/comment!
JulianTodd

Post by JulianTodd »

I've posted a couple of ideas and am marshaling anyone I know who uses FC to get themselves along.
Maybe post a note up about this on some other channel where people are going to see it?
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

And please (please!) someone can make some videos or at least a resumé material produced in and after this (supercool) meetup, to share here in the community.

Thanks!
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Bad news guys, the "Open CAD/CAM" devroom at FOSDEM has not been approved this year. We don't know why, it might simply be that people there wants some fresh new stuff and decided to renew a bit the overall structure.

That does not mean we cannot submit FreeCAD-related talks of course! It was convenient to have this devroom because everybody there was eager to hear about FreeCAD and any FreeCAD-related talk was almost automatically pre-approved :) But it will be cool to interact a bit outside our comfort zone too.

As soon as I hear what the devrooms will be, I'll post here and we can look at what would be a good place for us. You can watch this too to get latest news: https://fosdem.org/2023/