[To be reworked] Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: [Merge Imminent- Test Now!!] Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Post by NewJoker »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:07 pm While I agree it's better to make it optional so those who don't want it don't have to put up with it IMO it should be on by default, otherwise very few people who might want it will discover it. And for those who don't want it it is a one time nuisance to go and disable it.
That’s right, it shouldn’t be disabled by default. Making it optional might be a good idea if possible to implement. However, for me, the display of this widget wouldn’t be a problem even if I wasn’t using it (and I plan to use it a lot).

Pretty much all the other CAD programs have a feature like this (usually in form of interactive text fields displayed right next to the geometric entity being drawn so even more "invasive") with no option to hide it and no one complains. For FreeCAD it will be something new but I’m sure that even the most skeptical users will get used to it.
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

Is there a precompiled version for windows available for testing?

I think a significant number of users may be being excluded from testing
as i guess many MS users are not set up to compile from sources. Given the numbers
it might be nice to get some feedback across the wide range of systems and drivers before merging

BW
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

cadcam wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:28 am Is there a precompiled version for windows available for testing?
Unfortunately not. If you are able to package it for windows, we'd be grateful for that.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

user1234 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:35 pm I must say, even this is a nice feature, i will never use it (and i am pretty sure, the most CAD users with experice in other "newer" (with new i mean newer then 2000) CADs will also not use it). Also (i think) this is a feature for people who can not get rid of the old AutoCAD input schematic, so i think it should be optional (and i also would say switched off per default).
I have not used it yet for a new design (I have no time to design things lately). When reproducing objects, I found it often in the past the situation of having to create a circle at a given position and size. It was not uncommon to need rectangles (or frames) of given dimensions (at given positions).

For these tasks there is a huge gain in terms of mouse clicks. I comment on this because I did not like the 80's-90's AutoCAD workflow (never used a 2000 version of it or later), but I do not think this is it. It is just a way to get certain tasks faster, while keeping the FreeCAD workflow over the design.

I will not be surprised if some user starts using this feature as a sort of turtle graphics object (which funnily can be done), using only keyboard input and no mouse. But, that is not the aim of the development. The aim of the development is to improve the productivity of current FreeCAD.

This said, I have no idea of the real improvement this could actually bring to the average project. That information must come from the users here who design cool staff on a daily basis and can share if this is a UI bloating useless feature, or if there is an actual net gain from using it in their projects.

Anybody wanting to use this in a real design and sharing the experience?
user1234 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:35 pm - Also it take too much important space in the taskview, even in a 4K screen. The advanced solver is more important for me.
- The jumping of the taskview (tool settings appear, tool settings disappear) is also a reason, why i do not like it.
I open a list of drawbacks with these two items. I am not sure if there is a way to mitigate them (other than not activating it), but it is worth not to forget them when deciding further.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

cadcam wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:28 am Is there a precompiled version for windows available for testing?
+1

@paddle

Is it possible for you to share a windows build of the testing branch, so that Windows users can test?
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

bleber wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:49 pm DSH Line

Missing mode; point, oritzontal and vertical lenght.
if you click first point and change mode "m" these initial point is discarded.
When changing mode, the widget is reset. This is intended behaviour. It is not possible to "mix" construction modes.

I put the other in the list of wanted additional construction modes (there is no guarantee it will be added though):
- DSH Line: New Construction mode, point, Length, Width.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I note when the new tools are active (i.e. showing the tool icon on the mouse cursor) the never indicates snap type when a hover over a vertex.

Using scale tool, won't allow the cursor to drag outside the (to create a positive scale) only inward.

Using any of these new tools produces errors like these and a crash when the action s completed (or in the second case while dragging the mouse cursor during a scale).

Code: Select all

libTKCAF.so.7.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Unhandled exception in ViewProvider::eventCallback: Both points are equal
(Event type: SoLocation2Event, object type: SketcherGui::ViewProviderSketch)
Unhandled exception in ViewProvider::eventCallback: Both points are equal
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0  /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x3bd60) [0x7f7c2501ad60]
#1  0x7f7c2572c4a0 in QMapDataBase::shared_null from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5+0
m

Unhandled exception in ViewProvider::eventCallback: makeOffset2D: result of offsetting is null!
hello onrelease 
create constraint i : 0
create constraint i : 1
create constraint i : 2
create constraint i : 3
create constraint i : 4
after create constrain for 
hbefore makeoffsetconstr 
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0  /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x3bd60) [0x7f19076fad60]

OS: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) (XFCE/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.29419 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: paddle_widget_testing
Hash: b485cc42663e76f7caca5a0d3aa845ed0c82114e
Python 3.9.2, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 7.1.1, OCC 7.7.0.dev
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * kicadStepUpMod 10.13.3
  * Manipulator 1.4.9
  * DynamicData 2.46.0
  * fasteners 0.3.46
  * CubeMenu
  * fcgear 1.0.0
  * plugins
  * Pyramids-and-Polyhedrons
  * Defeaturing
  * Assembly4 0.12.2
  * OpticsWorkbench 1.0.8
  * workfeature-macro
  * sheetmetal 0.2.49
  * A2plus 0.4.56a
  * CurvedShapes 1.0.3
  * Curves 0.5.1
  * workfeature
  * lattice2 1.0.0
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

drmacro wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:56 am ...
Thanks for testing.

Only these tools are ready for test:

DSH Line
DSH Rectangle
DSH Circle
DSH Ellipse
DSH Polygon

I realise it is a mistake to offer more features than the ones that are intended for testing. I will try to do better next time.
drmacro wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:56 am I note when the new tools are active (i.e. showing the tool icon on the mouse cursor) the never indicates snap type when a hover over a vertex.
Do you mean autoconstraints? (Those little constraint icons appearing next to the pointer telling you that it will create a constraint)

You should see autoconstraints in those DSHs when hovering. Could you do some screen capture showing the issue?
drmacro wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:56 am Using scale tool, won't allow the cursor to drag outside the (to create a positive scale) only inward.
I have not even run that tool myself or reviewed the code...
drmacro wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:56 am Using any of these new tools produces errors like these and a crash when the action s completed (or in the second case while dragging the mouse cursor during a scale).
Could you tell me how to replicate the crash with any of the following?

DSH Line
DSH Rectangle
DSH Circle
DSH Ellipse
DSH Polygon
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

abdullah wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:14 pm ...
Thanks for testing.
I realise it is a mistake to offer more features than the ones that are intended for testing. I will try to do better next time.
Probably more my mistake; I just saw new stuff and tried it...

I get this simply starting FreeCAD:

libTKCAF.so.7.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
drmacro wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:56 am I note when the new tools are active (i.e. showing the tool icon on the mouse cursor) the never indicates snap type when a hover over a vertex.
Do you mean autoconstraints? (Those little constraint icons appearing next to the pointer telling you that it will create a constraint)

You should see autoconstraints in those DSHs when hovering. Could you do some screen capture showing the issue?
Yes they work with these 5 tools. They don't with the scale and offset tools.
DSH Line
DSH Rectangle
DSH Circle
DSH Ellipse
DSH Polygon
These 5 seem to work without error or crash.

Note: after testing them a few times, I went to Preferences looking for a way to set back to the old way...I gave up working in AutoCAD decades ago ;) )
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Just out of curiosity, what the advantage to disabling this?