[To be reworked] Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Post by adrianinsaval »

abdullah wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:51 pm Paddle has worked hard and we are in a position where I would like to have some input about where we are heading.

Branch:
https://github.com/abdullahtahiriyo/Fre ... et_testing
Kunda1 wrote: ping
perfect opportunity to try out building snaps from a branch, what do you think?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:41 pm perfect opportunity to try out building snaps from a branch, what do you think? (see previous post by abdullah)
Totally! But I'm traveling right now so it's a little bit challenging to do and buy a mobile. If you could give me the commit number I can give it a try
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:43 pm Totally! But I'm traveling right now so it's a little bit challenging to do and buy a mobile. If you could give me the commit number I can give it a try
Thanks! it's git commit 4e48fafd1d18a1c268d1942ceeb996c51b49ad4f if I'm not mistaken
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Please PM @ppd and ask him. GitHub UI is different on mobile
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:51 pm Please PM @ppd and ask him. GitHub UI is different on mobile
Done
ppd

Post by ppd »

The build: https://github.com/ppd/freecad-ppd/runs ... focus=true

This should appear in about two hours in edge/paddle-widget-testing

It can be installed via

Code: Select all

snap install freecad-ppd --channel edge/paddle-widget-testing
or, if the snap is already installed, switched to by running

Code: Select all

snap refresh freecad-ppd --channel edge/paddle-widget-testing
Try FreeCAD from the Snap Store: Stable releases (in latest/stable) & daily builds (in latest/edge). Supports installing additional python packages via pip!
BrandonGene

Post by BrandonGene »

I think the tool widget is an awesome addition. I have no qualms about this feature whatsoever. My only suggestion for an implementation change is to avoid bouncing UI features around by showing the Corner Radius and Thickness boxes greyed out underneath their respective checkmarks. Then only enable them when the options are ticked. UI elements appearing and disappearing, especially when not at the end of a list, are kind of jarring. Otherwise, super cool and great work. :D

Now, less excitedly, regarding the merging of multiple tools:

Pros include...

...better discoverability of tool options. That tiny down arrow next to a tool is not a great indicator that there are more ways to create similar geometry.

...a cleaner interface. Less buttons, so you click the thing you want to make and then are presented with the options that are relevant. Makes sense to me.

...better integration of features in the future. Any Sketcher features implemented that apply to Rectangles should be available and well-integrated with every version/mode of Rectangle; merging the tools would make this pretty much mandatory.

But! One major con to merging the tools: This could mess with shortcuts/workflow in a big way.

For some shortcuts, it won't really matter too much. Arc is a great example, as there are only two options. The shortcut for Create Arc remains GA just as it has been. The shortcut for Create Arc from 3 Points would effectively be GAM. A perfectly fine shortcut, just three taps. This will be true as long as every time a tool is selected, the settings begin at some kind of default. Just because I used Arc from 3 Points last doesn't mean that GA should now be Arc from 3 Points. GA should still be Create Arc, and GAM should still be Arc from 3 Points. This is absolutely vital for keyboard muscle memory.

Arc is fine in this regard but rectangle is a different story because there are so many options. I have all three versions of the rectangle tool set to two-key shortcuts. RR (reg rectangle), RF (rectangle filleted), RC (rectangle from center). Two keys each, no modes, no looking over to a widget to confirm my settings are correct. Just tap-tap and then click to place. The amount of times I would have to hit M to get to these on a regular basis (especially for the number of options for rectangles in particular) might just drive me insane. Maybe the separate tools that exist right now can continue to exist at least within the keyboard shortcut customizer. Instead of activating their own separate tool, that shortcut would just launch the new merged tool with that option already selected. If the separate keyboard shortcuts remained an option, then using the most recent mode/settings of a tool would be acceptable. Just as long as there is some infinitely repeatable keyboard-accessible way to get to these specific tools that are being "merged away," I'm cool adapting.

Additionally, M is not an ideal mode switching key as it requires leaving home row with the non-mousing hand. If this is going to be such an important and oft-used shortcut after the merge, it would be awesome if it was customizable. Probably a conversation for a different thread, though. :)

My two cents, anyway. Keep chugging along, I'm really looking forward all this work being pulled in!
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

Great work, paddle and abdullah!

1. I still have the issue with the "number input box/spinbox/combobox" not being active/blue when the mouse position dictates a negative value. However, it seems like paddle does not have this issue in hos video, so it might be a linux or fedora-specific issue. Anyone else experiencing the same?
See gif:
Signed error.gif
Signed error.gif (343.68 KiB) Viewed 1341 times

2. This might be related to the first:

- Select line tool, polar mode (angle+length)
- click on a point on screen
- DO NOT MOVE THE MOUSE
- input length
- Angle now displays nan, and input field is not blue/active. If i move the mouse to a positive angle it works great.

Also, small detail, but when you select a start point with the mouse, it would be nice if "x of 1st point" and "y of 1st point" would update to the selected point, here it would be 20.00 and 0.00.
nan angle.gif
nan angle.gif (257.77 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
(I'm being really picky here, ignore if irrelevant :roll: )
ppd

Post by ppd »

ppd wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:30 pm The build: https://github.com/ppd/freecad-ppd/runs ... focus=true
Hm. The code does not seem to be compatible with OCCT 7.6.1, which is used in the edge snap. This would need to be derived from the stable snap. Maybe tomorrow.

Edit:

@Kunda1 There's now a branch for testing that is based on the stable manifest: https://github.com/ppd/freecad-ppd/tree/stable-manifest
The same commit, but run with this manifest: https://github.com/ppd/freecad-ppd/acti ... 2200405247

Should hopefully be ready in about two hours.
Try FreeCAD from the Snap Store: Stable releases (in latest/stable) & daily builds (in latest/edge). Supports installing additional python packages via pip!
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

BrandonGene wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:28 pm For some shortcuts, it won't really matter too much. Arc is a great example, as there are only two options. The shortcut for Create Arc remains GA just as it has been. The shortcut for Create Arc from 3 Points would effectively be GAM. A perfectly fine shortcut, just three taps. This will be true as long as every time a tool is selected, the settings begin at some kind of default. Just because I used Arc from 3 Points last doesn't mean that GA should now be Arc from 3 Points. GA should still be Create Arc, and GAM should still be Arc from 3 Points. This is absolutely vital for keyboard muscle memory.
You are right, GAM should always be 3rim points and GA always arc for consistency.
Regarding the rectangle tool, we're still experimenting. As the optimal behaviour is not yet clear.
- Should the mode/checkboxes states remain constant between each use of the tool? Or between each 'continuous mode' of the tool? Or always reset?
- Should M key switch between all modes including checkboxes or only between the 2 construction modes?

Those are questions for the community to answer.

After playing a while with it, I think the best is to keep construction mode and checkboxes the same until the tool is exited. Such that in continuous mode it doesn't reset, but when you close the tool and open again it's the basic rectangle.
Also M key should probably not change the checkboxes. As you mention that's a lot of pressing and it doesn't keep the consistency of the other tools (where you press M to change only the mode).

Besides, graying out radius and thickness parameters seems like a good idea to me. That would prevent things from jumping around when pressing the checkboxes.