Getting started with new contributions

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Carri

Getting started with new contributions

Post by Carri »

Hello!

As a presentation (which I read in the forums I should do), I'm Carri and I'm a computer engineer with a big interest in 3d printing and cad design. At the moment I've been working for a company as a software developer focused in programming tests, but I always lack in ideas of what I want to do in my free time and I want to learn. I like making models for fixing things, and I like open source things.

My main programming languages are C and python. I would love to know where I can be more useful, If there's effort needed in PR, or you need people solving issues :)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Getting started with new contributions

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum and thanks for offering your manpower!

It is always a good idea to work on something which would not only benefit the community, but also you! There are entries in the bugtracker, bugs as well as features, which you may have a look at. There is a collection of low hanging fruit, which can be a start.

My personal favourite would be issue #4821, because it would be an improvement in nearly every project of mine for many of the sketches. But that is indeed a very personal view.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Any contribution in code is generally welcome.
Basically you just need to submit a PR in GitHub. It will then be reviewed and eventually commented and merged.
A general advice is to make PR as small as possible (keep it limited to a single fix / feature).

We though have some informal consensus about how things should go before doing a PR :
* for an obvious fix, make directly a PR
* for a feature addition, eventually discuss your in the forum so you'll get some comments and eventually fine-tune things
* for a fix or improvement that changes how existing things are/behave, it's mandatory to discuss changes with the community in the forum
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Welcome Carri! looking around at the forum you will probably find many threads with feature requests that might peak your interest, I say go and use FreeCAD for some time a identify the stuff you are missing or are annoying you, then see if you can work on those, try to pick simpler stuff first.
Here an example of one of those annoying things: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65248
chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:11 pm
Off topic but I just noticed you have been "promoted" to forum admin, congrats I guess, did they increase your salary 200% accordingly? ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:05 pm
chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:11 pm
Off topic but I just noticed you have been "promoted" to forum admin, congrats I guess, did they increase your salary 200% accordingly? ;)
No, I'm not an admin, only a moderator growing old. Yorik created a Veteran group. Which means: if I get out of here, I will become a CAD Rambo.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

the website disagrees :o
https://forum.freecadweb.org/memberlist ... =group&g=5
The veteran rank is quite appropriate though, everyone there probably has been through many battles here ;) and of course, I already consider you a FreeCAD Rambo :lol:
Interestingly abdullah and DeepSOIC are the only poor souls left in the core developers group
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:12 am the website disagrees :o
Indeed, you are right!
Carri

Post by Carri »

Thank you all! :) I will check it out ;)