[completed] Release notes for FreeCAD 0.20

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jonasb

Re: Release notes for FreeCAD 0.20

Post by jonasb »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:19 pm Someone has added improvements for an external workbench to the release notes. This seems incorrect to me, the release notes should be about FreeCAD and its core workbenches. Please confirm. Thanks.
It's been me who added this. The section "External workbenches", with 13 (yet empty) other add-on WBs has been already there, so I thought it was exactly intended for this kind of stuff. In the v0.19 release notes the section was called "Additional modules" and had an appropriate disclaimer.
I think such a section is valuable for the user, so I'd vote to keep it. We had it in the release notes for 0.19, 0.18, 0.17, 0.16 and 0.15, too. However, the intro text from the 0.19 page would be good to have on the 0.20 page. Any objections, if I copy it over?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

IMO it doesn't make sense since they are independent of freecad version, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you getting the same updated addons if you install them using 0.19 (or 0.18, 0.17, etc.). And if you upgrade to 0.20 but didn't update the workbench you installed with 0.19 you still get the old version of the workbench.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

jonasb wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:06 pm The section "External workbenches", with 13 (yet empty) other add-on WBs has been already there, so I thought it was exactly intended for this kind of stuff.
You are right, I missed that context because I was comparing the history of the Wiki page. My bad. :oops:
But I still find it a strange addition.
jonasb

Post by jonasb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:46 pm IMO it doesn't make sense since they are independent of freecad version, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you getting the same updated addons if you install them using 0.19 (or 0.18, 0.17, etc.). And if you upgrade to 0.20 but didn't update the workbench you installed with 0.19 you still get the old version of the workbench.
Yes, external WBs are independent, to some extend, of the freecad version. I still think they deserve their section in the release note as this document gives a summary of what happened in during the release cycle. This document gets cited in tech-blogs and other sources once there is a new release. Up till now it always (at least since 0.15) covered new features and improvements from the community, too. I'd vote to keep it this way.
So IMHO the 0.20 page just misses the clarification text we had in 0.19. The rest is fine. I'd love to see more infos from the other add-on WBs, though (i.e. less empty headings).
Roy_043 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:43 pm You are right, I missed that context because I was comparing the history of the Wiki page. My bad.
No offence taken. It's good to see that we have such tight QA on the wiki. Thank you for that!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thinking about an average user, who doesn't update to the latest versions as many forum regulars do, I can well imagine that they consider updating if a new version comes out. For those it may indeed be sensible to add informations about external workbenches.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:58 pm There is now a separate paragraph "Sketcher bug fixes". It could work to have such a paragraph for all workbenches. And maybe make it collapsible so it does not a attract too much attention.
I would even remove it. For consistency, we don't mention bugfixes in the release notes.

Moreover wet try to release bugfix releases and the mentioned fixes will be in FC 0.19.3: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=57659

So, OK to delete these fixes in the release notes?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:19 pm Someone has added improvements for an external workbench to the release notes. This seems incorrect to me, the release notes should be about FreeCAD and its core workbenches. Please confirm. Thanks.
I did not add this but find these info useful. For example I just introduced FC to a colleague and this way showed here the fasteneres WB. For her as a new user since the WB is installed, it is like a normal FC feature. Therefore I think it would be helpful to inform users about the external WBs too.

I am pretty sure that this list will be inconsistent but what is in, helps users. And for WBs without known/unreported news, we can remove it from the release notes once the release is made.
jonasb

Post by jonasb »

FYI, I just copied the disclaimer for the "External workbenches" section from the 0.19 release note.
jonasb

Post by jonasb »

Shall we document updates to the Python API too?
i.e. recently OCC's Precision methods/constants were made available.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

jonasb wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:32 pm Shall we document updates to the Python API too?
i.e. recently OCC's Precision methods/constants were made available.
Yes. This is valuable info. I created now a section to list the new, removed or changed APIs:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Release_notes_0.20#API

Please add there the changes you see in the commit logs.