[completed] Release notes for FreeCAD 0.20

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Release notes for FreeCAD 0.20

Post by chrisb »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:10 am What is the policy, if any, regarding bug fixes? Do some, or all, of them deserve a mention in the Release notes?
I think so. That's what is usually done. If it hadn't been done here before, it may have been lazyness.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

FreeCAD is such a great SW that we're able to focus on new features. But I think we should list bugfixes too.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

If we are talking about policy: IMHO in the "feature_list" for the release should be only *new* or really changed/improved features. Bug-fixes should be only in the "changelog". Of course if a bug-fix, refactor/extend or change consistently an old existant feature, this can change a bug-fix to a new feature and be presented in the feature_list for the new release.

In example: the yesterday fixed bug for snapping in Draft, it's not, IMHO, a new feature, it's a simple bug-fix, so should be only in the changelog, not in the feature-list.
The "new" draft hatching tool created by Yorik in Draft, should be in the feature_list.

Release notes, should list new feature_list *and* changelog, but as separated lists. Just of course my 0,02 :-)
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

There is now a separate paragraph "Sketcher bug fixes". It could work to have such a paragraph for all workbenches. And maybe make it collapsible so it does not a attract too much attention.

But I am pretty sure that many V0.20 bug fixes will never be mentioned. This makes me reluctant to add mine, which tend to be minor.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Someone has added improvements for an external workbench to the release notes. This seems incorrect to me, the release notes should be about FreeCAD and its core workbenches. Please confirm. Thanks.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Which workbenches should be in core FC ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:19 pm Someone has added improvements for an external workbench to the release notes. This seems incorrect to me, the release notes should be about FreeCAD and its core workbenches.
I think you are right - in general. However, FCGear is a very common and frequently used external workbench, so it may be ok in this case. I see this less with other workbenches.

Maybe we should have a special "non official section" in the release notes, where such announcments can go; with a clear distinction from master.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:11 pm Which workbenches should be in core FC ?
It should be those not delivered with master, but this concept is weakened due to some packaging preferences.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:20 pm Maybe we should have a special "non official section" in the release notes, where such announcments can go; with a clear distinction from master.
So BIM_WB should be there too in the RN. I think this is somehow confusing. It's already (a lot) confusing, IE, having BIM as addon and not incorporated in Arch, IMHO, as it should/could be.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)